The Department of Public Works was established by the Select Board in 2023 to oversee the Town of Leicester's Highway and Facilities operations.
Facilities Division Overview
The Facilities Division is responsible for maintenance and upkeep of the Town of Leicester's municipal facilities, school buildings, and associated grounds.
Highway Division Overview
The Highway Division is responsible for the seasonal and winter maintenance of Leicester’s approximately 100 miles of roadways, sidewalks, street signs, curbing, the storm drainage system, and construction projects. The Department also provides operational maintenance for the Cherry Valley Cemetery, Veteran’s Squares, Town Parks, and employees also assist in snow removal, emergency response and other departmental functions as needed.
The specific functions of this division includes:
- Maintaining the Town’s streets, sidewalks and curbing in accordance with the Standards of the Leicester Highway Department. This maintenance includes normal seasonal maintenance such as street sweeping, filling potholes, repairing damaged curbing, replacing signs, maintaining roads, and winter snow and ice removal.
- Maintaining the Town’s Stormwater drainage system. This maintenance includes cleaning the Town’s catch basins annually and cleaning debris from drain pipes.
- Conducting small construction projects relative to improving the Town’s public works infrastructure, including paving, sidewalk and curbing repairs and extensions, and drainage improvements and extensions.
- Responding to citizen requests and complaints relative to the Highway’s projects and infrastructure; supervising and assisting in contracted highway projects, including reconstruction of streets and drainage, crack filling streets, and assisting other Departmental divisions and other Town Departments (School, Police, Fire, Town Hall, etc.) with projects as needed.
- Maintaining the Cherry Valley Cemetery and Veteran’s Square throughout Town. This maintenance includes mowing, tree trimming, brush clearing and leaf removal on a seasonal basis.
|Deborah Rosebrooks||Department Assistant||508-892-7021|