Leicester is working with Great American Rain Barrel to offer rain barrels for $69. Barrels will be available for pickup at the Recycling Center June 1 from 9am to 12pm. Deadline for purchase is May 27. For more information, visit https://www.greatamericanrainbarrel.com/community/ and select your town. Or, click HERE for the order form.
Throughout New England, residents depend on infrastructure made in the years following WWII, to supply water to far fewer homes. These infrastructures are now heavily taxed. Leaky pipes and water main breaks are only part of the problem. Storm water runoff creates additional havoc. Capturing and storing water at the home and the use of raingardens are the two most effective ways to minimize storm water runoff.
Each year homeowners face higher prices for water and sewer. The wholesale rate of water from the MWRA has increased 49% over the 10-year period from 2008-2018. Saving rain water helps homeowners hedge against the rising cost of water. Rain water is a free healthy alternative; it is organic, has no chlorine, no fluoride and no chemicals. It is an excellent water source for plants, gardens, lawns and any non-potable use. Regular use of a rain barrel can pay for itself in one season. One tenth of an inch of rain on a 1000 square foot roof --about 25 minutes of moderate rainfall-- will fill a 60-gallon Rain Barrel. New England typically receives 17” of rain during the growing season from May through September. This provides enough water to fill 170 Rain Barrels. At 2 cents a gallon homeowners can expect to $204 worth of water.
Droughts stress residential landscaping and town water facilities. In 2016, 168 communities in Massachusetts faced restrictions on nonessential outdoor water use - 47% of the Cities and Towns in the state. There is no restriction on rainwater use.
Leicester chose to work with the Great American Rain Barrel Co., a local food importing company that has been repurposing shipping drums into Rain Barrels since 1988. Last year 30% of Massachusetts Cities and Towns partnered with The Great American Rain Barrel Co, selling over 3000 barrels. Great American Rain Barrel Co has been approved vendors by the MASSDEP for the state since 2010. Barrels are being offered for $69. Barrels will be available for pick up on Saturday, June 1st 9:00am-12:00 Leicester Recycling Center, 233 Manville St, Leicester MA 01524. Deadline for purchase is May 27th , Midnight. To participate in the Rain Barrel Program and find out more about the barrels, please visit: https://www.greatamericanrainbarrel.com/community/ and select your town.
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD PURCHASE A RAIN BARREL
• One rain barrel can pay for itself in one season.
• Rainwater has no chemicals, chlorine or fluoride – great for plants and lawn.
• Rain Barrels help Towns manage water supplies and storm water runoff.
• At least $200 of precious rain water splashes off a 1000 sf roof in a season
• Help stressed trees and gardens during dry spells. In 2016, 48% of towns in MA had water bans.
ABOUT THE GREAT AMERICAN RAIN BARREL
• 100% re-purposed rain barrels produced in Massachusetts.
• Most durable and reliable Rain Barrels on the market: 3/16” wall thickness.
• Lasts for years when properly drained & stored for winter.
• Screen filter to keep mosquitoes out.
• Several rain barrels can be linked together — easy 5-minute setup
• Available Colors: Forest Green, Earth Brown, Nantucket Grey and Unpainted.
Discount Price for Town Residents: $ 69 price 40% Off Retail