Which Board issues special permits, the Planning Board or the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA)?

The Special Permit Granting Authority (SPGA) can either be the Planning Board or the ZBA, depending on the zoning district and proposed use.  The ZBA issues all special permits for non-conforming uses and structures, as well as all special permits related to signs.  Special permits for other uses are either the ZBA or Planning Board, depending on the district or specific use.  For a listing of special permits issued by each Board, click here.  Please note that fees and submittal requirements are significantly different between the two Boards.