Work on the Town Common – Please be advised that the Town has secured a grant through the Complete Streets program to make improvements to the Town Common area. The project, which was awarded to P.J. Keating, includes the following:
- Road widening and reconstruction for Washburn Square, sidewalk reconstruction, and replacement curb
- Installation of an accessible viewing ramp for wheelchairs facing the bandstand on the Common
- Sidewalk construction along the east side of Paxton Street from Main Street to Winslow Avenue
- New curb and sidewalk reconstruction on the south side of Winslow Avenue from Paxton Street to the school crossing
- High visibility crosswalk installation
- Application of thermoplastic pavement markings for new curb areas and for the shared use path on Winslow Avenue
- Construction/installation of a new catch basin on Winslow Avenue with connection to existing drainage systems
Construction will be oncoming throughout the summer, but the contractor will take care to insure that the Common area is available for use during the Concerts on the Common. There will also be new benches being installed on the Common which were obtained through a separate grant program.
This project will address longstanding safety and accessibility issues, as well as provide a needed renovation to the pavement areas around the Common. Please contact the Town Administrator’s Office with any questions or concerns.