The Highway Department is now operational on their
new radios with a new frequency: 150.995
The Highway Department is responsible for the seasonal and winter maintenance of Leicester’s approximately 100 miles of roadways, sidewalks, street signs, curbing, the storm drainage system, and construction projects. The Department also provides operational maintenance for the Cherry Valley Cemetery, Veteran’s Squares, Town Parks, and employees also assist in snow removal, emergency response and other departmental functions as needed.
The specific functions of this Department include:
- Maintaining the Town’s streets, sidewalks and curbing in accordance with the Standards of the Leicester Highway Department. This maintenance includes normal seasonal maintenance such as street sweeping, filling potholes, repairing damaged curbing, replacing signs, maintaining roads, and winter snow and ice removal.
- Maintaining the Town’s Stormwater drainage system. This maintenance includes cleaning the Town’s catch basins annually and cleaning debris from drain pipes.
- Conducting small construction projects relative to improving the Town’s public works infrastructure, including paving, sidewalk and curbing repairs and extensions, and drainage improvements and extensions.
- Responding to citizen requests and complaints relative to the Highway’s projects and infrastructure; supervising and assisting in contracted highway projects, including reconstruction of streets and drainage, crack filling streets, and assisting other Departmental divisions and other Town Departments (School, Police, Fire, Town Hall, etc.) with projects as needed.
- Maintaining the Cherry Valley Cemetery and Veteran’s Square throughout Town. This maintenance includes mowing, tree trimming, brush clearing and leaf removal on a seasonal basis.